People learn to discover and follow Jesus in community. Few environments do that better than a small group. This begs the question, what did Jesus model for His disciples.
Small Groups do these two things with Excelllence:
- Care for People
- Develop People
Caring for people is with the whole person in mind.
What does excellent “pastoral care” look like?
In the small group I lead with my wife, Gina, we have established a “care-net” for the members of our group. What does that mean:
- when a person has a need, members are quick to respond
- when a person misses a small group event, they receive a call
- when a person shares a challenge they are facing, we pray
The list goes on; but you get the idea.
Three reflection questions to strengthen the “care-net” in your small group:
- What needs are we currently meeting in our small group?
- What other needs should we be more aware of at this time?
- How can we meet this new need and expand our “care-net”?
Next time I’ll discuss the second item on the list above: “Develop People”.